That's Not Very Nice!

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Trick-Or-Treating

We took Shorty out last night for a night of candy and spookables. Man did we bring home a haul! A whole wal-mart bag plumb full! This kid has candy to last all year I think. We started out at about 5:30, and came home at 8:30. He was such a trooper about everything, I just couldn't believe it. We definitely walked several miles. There are some tricks that I remember from when I was a kid that still work today, and some new ones that my boy has figured out.

People are likely to give the kid with the least in his bucket more candy because they feel sorry for him. (we were dumping his bucket in the car every block or so)

People let cute kids rifle through the candy bowl after they have given the kid candy because they don't have the heart to chase them out of there.

When the kid says "I love you" instead of "thank you" for the candy, the old ladies make the kid come back to get more candy. (My boy did this to one lady!)

When a kid tries to weasel his way into peoples houses because he sees a dog he wants to pet, or something good on the TV, people bribe the kid out with even more candy.

Old folks think it is hilarious when they are standing at the door and the kid won't accept any candy until he has gone thru the motions--ringing the bell, then beating on the door they are holding onto, and then taking the candy.

There you have it folks. Another thing that is essential is a chauffeur. My dear husband came home and we whisked him out of the house and made him drive us all over town to the fancy neighborhoods, and follow us around while we finished up neighborhoods, only to get a ride 3 blocks over to get more houses. He had not eaten supper, and was starving but didn't complain once. (He did request 3 grilled cheese sandwiches as soon as we got home)

All in all, I think we had a great time, and the boy held his own the whole time, and he got more candy than I ever expected. Good haul. And I got the pick of his candy after he went to bed and couldn't get to sleep because of all the sugar.