That's Not Very Nice!

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Husband Beating

Contagion reminded me of a husband beating incident back in 1997. My boyfriend (now husband) and I were driving out to Sacramento Ca. to participate in a wedding in Reno (long story). We had decided to drive straight thru, just switching drivers when one got sleepy, so the other one could get some shut-eye.

Well, we left Wisconsin after he got done from work at 11:00 pm, and he drove till dawn. Then it was my turn, but as I had never driven anywhere ever, I had been too excited to sleep while he was driving. I took some caffeine pills, washed them down with cola, and drove through Nebraska and a little of Wyoming rocking in my seat and blathering nonsense from all the caffeine.

Then I was finally ready to sleep. I fell asleep immediately, and soundly, and when my husband tried to wake me to drive again, it wasn't pretty. I woke up pissed off. Apparently my husbands first attempt at waking me up failed, as I proceeded to take swings at his head with my fists of fury, eyes closed. He decided for the safety of all to continue driving rather than attempting to get me to wake up. So he drove a couple more hours, with the windows down, and the music blaring to keep himself alert, and all the while I slept like a baby.

(Funny thing about the music part: neither one of us remembered that when you get out in the middle of BF nowhere, there is no radio to speak of, and we forgot to bring along tapes. We found a Def Leopard tape and a worn out Metallica tape in the glove box to see us thru. It was rough.)